Sunday, March 2, 2008

Project Runway!

First let me say that I am not a fan of reality shows. I don't like drama. Well, not unless it has a good love story or football mixed in. This is usually true for movies not so much television. Project Runway has lots drama, no romance, and lots of clothes. I had no interest in it up until today. There was nothing on so I was flipping through channels and stopped when I saw Heidi Klum because I knew a little about the show from commercials. Fashion is not my thing. Anyone who knows me can attest to that. I spend most of my days in jeans and Nikes (or keds). But I have always loved beautiful clothes. When I was a little girl, I owned the Barbie Fashion Plates (Tomy 1978) and spent much of my time designing as well as sewing clothes for my dolls. As a matter of fact, Strawberry Shortcake is in my basement as I write in my last youthful creation. I kind of regret it now because I have no idea where her orginal dress and hat are which means it only has sentimental value. Anyway, my love for clothes remains.

Project Runway gives a number of designer want-to-bes assignments each week that can range from costumes for women wrestlers to outfits inspired by fine art. My personal favorite was when they took them to the Hershey Store in Time Square and had to use products from the store to create an outfit. They must design, sew (or glue as time would allow), and prepare their models for the final runway walk. And in true reality show fashion, they must also live together, boys and girls respectively.

While I had little interest in the drama of who gets along or how the results affect the participants, I very much enjoyed the challanges they were presented with and the clothes they created. I cannot believe a reality show finally hooked me. I swore I would never watch one. I guess it was only a matter of time given reality tv has been around now for over a decade.

No comments: