Sunday, July 29, 2007

Twinkie cake anyone?

Twinkie cake anyone?


Yesterday was Jason's birthday bash at the dock. This year we made sure the kayaks were inflated before it started so no time was wasted. I bought over 300 water balloons. We put the jet ski in and our friends brought their three seater, which according to David is a 1000 times better than ours because you don't get pounded by the waves. We are both walking funny today. Our ski is more for the younger crowd. They like flying through the air. I am proud to say I got up to 23 mph, but stopped as soon as I realized. I went out with my friend Renee. I was only going 8mph when we fell off. Fortunately, I made David by a step for the ski which made it super easy to get back on. Unlike last year when they almost had to call the coast guard to come and get me after failing to get back on 5 times in a row. Mental note, buy three seater. After falling off and taking on a lot of water, me not the ski, I somehow overcame my fear of falling off again. We were out for a good 45 minutes.

The party was a huge success. The kids spent most of the time on the kayaks and playing with the water balloons. There was also fishing, balloon rockets, Nerf tag, and the bean bag toss (not corn hole). So busy we almost forget to open presents. It was so hot the cupcakes melted. I eventually decided to put them away. It wasn't until I put them away that people wanted to eat them. Evidently this was my error. I did not announce they were fair game. J mostly received money. Other gifts included: nerf tag, scooter, baseketball, squirt gun, football cards, and football card bookholder.

Jason requested I make Twinkie Cake for the family party. I asked him if he was sure as not everyone would like it as much as we do. He insisted. So the night before the party I was making homemade frosting and baking yellow cake. It came out beautifully. It tastes even better than twinkies if you ask me. ;) Speaking of which, there is a small section left from the party I will be eating as soon as I am done here. Ironically, Jason did not want any the day of the party. I will split the remainder with him today. I put little candy football on it because everything around here revolves around football.

The party began to wind down around 9pm. Devin picked up the hundreds of broken balloons in the yard. That earned him the rare "Good Job" from David. Renee, Jared, and Jake stayed the longest. Renee wanted to see the lake at night so we took a cruise. The lake is flat at night. Just outside the channel, the coast guard stopped us. The children were all nervous. They thought they were going to arrest us all. I just laughed. I explained that they were just making sure that every boater is doing what they are supposed to. The only people who need to worry are those who are doing something wrong. I imagine we were a pleasant surprise for them that night. We rarely drink in everyday life and we never drink when boating whereas the majority of boaters are sloshed. I don't envy them. The guys were very polite and funny. They gave us a slip to show we passed inspection and went on to the next boat. It is good to know they are out there.

By the time we got back in we were hungry. Ate some left over pizza and then our company left. David went below deck to set up the beds when he noticed the fumes. He left the restroom window open while cruising. There wasn't enought time to air out the cabin as it was 12:45 am, so we came home.

It was a good day.

No comments: