Thursday, June 14, 2007

My uncle has cancer

My uncle has cancer


My cousin told me yesterday that our uncle has colon cancer. Either he has had it for awhile or it is a fast growing tumor because it is quite large. Normally there would be external bleeding to prompt a person to see their physician and hopefully catch the cancer early. That was not the case with my uncle. He bled internally.

Still waiting to hear more. The reason I am telling you this is because I want everyone to encourage their family members (BOTH MALE AND FEMALE) to have colon/rectal screening starting at the age of 50. Earlier if there is a family history or bleeding from the rectum.

At our last family get together I had this conversation with my mom and mother-in-law. We talked about their various ailments and I was adamant that they have a colonoscopy. Here comes the "I told you so moment" only they are not the ones with the cancer. It is too close to home my friends. Too close.

My uncle Dale is a great guy. He doesn't smoke, eats right, works hard, and loves his family. This is why I don't believe in Karma.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will definitely keep your uncle in my prayers.