Sunday, February 24, 2008

Night At The Races

Last night we had tickets for Night At The Races for the Eastlake midget football league. My aunt and cousins are very involved in that league and so several family members attended. We had two tables. David and I arrived late because David wanted to get there closer to the time dinner was to be served. My sister was the first to greet us. She had tried to call me because everyone was afraid we forgot about the event but of course my phone was turned off. I should say David's old phone with my number (remember mine was washed and dryed and still does not work).

The first thing I took a look at was the Chinese Auction. They had several baskets worthy of bidding. The best above all was one with an old style Browns mini-helmet signed by assorted Browns players, including Brady Quinn. All 20 tickets went in for that baby. The basket had other items such as a Brady Quinn mini-helmet (no signed), Browns football autographed by Leigh Bodden, Cleveland Cavaliers t-shirt autographed by Shannon Brown, baseball signed by Jason Michaels, baseball signed by Johnny Peralta, and a Columbus Blue Jackets mini-helmet autographed by some of the hockey players. It wasn't long before the food was served. The family style meal passed quickly around the table. The chicken was particularly good. The only way the food could have been better is if there were more of it.

With a full stomach and a yellow program, I was ready to bid on my first horse. My cousin and her fiance owned 5 of the horses racing so we had to bid on some of those. Actually, the only two races David and I won were those we bet on them. I am happy to report that at the end of the night I won my basket! This is a big deal to me because the only autograph we did not get from the Football Hall of Fame rookie meet and greet was that of Brady Quinn.

I cannot wait to do it again next year!

The boys were excited when they saw all the stuff. Jason put the Brady Quinn helmet on Shrek. It fit perfectly (even the leather chin strap). Devin liked the baseballs most of all. I have no idea where to put it all, but I'm looking forward to figuring it out.

No comments: