Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mom, what is the difference between soda and pop?

Today Devin asked me what the difference is between soda and pop. Honestly, I wasn't sure if there was one. The subject has been debated often. I remember years ago at ONU sitting in the lounge arguing that "pop" was the correct term for drinks like my beloved Pepsi, but only because that is what I grew up with. I had friends who grew up using the term "soda" (they came from southern Ohio and other states). Neither side won their argument for the simple fact that they are one in the same. The only compromise would be to call it soda pop. But that just feels wrong.

Dictionary.com answers this question plain and simple:

soda pop
–noun a carbonated, flavored, and sweetened soft drink.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1905–10]


—Regional variation note The terms soda pop, soda, and pop are widely used throughout the U.S., although pop is mainly associated with the Midland U.S. Dope is used as a synonym in the Southern U.S., esp. in the South Atlantic States, and tonic is used in eastern New England.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Soda pop! Funny..... when I worked down on Coventry at The Record Exchange the hispanic ladies usta call me that after "The Outsiders"........ & ur right dreN is nerd spelled backwards....... that is why I chose it.......... odd reference nowadays......... I'm a dork..... sorry....... & if u catch a moment I would like 2 read ur tops in music....... sorry I did not respond 2 ur comment sooner....... but w/ 3 of my own life gets full sometimes.......... gonna put somethin' up in a lil while t'day 4 the first time since Nov.......... please have a g'day.........