Saturday, December 8, 2007

week in review

It occurred to me what day it was just now as I was about to blog about my week. Seventeen years ago tonight I was at a college party. David was about to be sent to Iraq. We were not together but he had told me that November that he still loved me. I was very confused and scared. The night before he was to be sent, I tempted fate and drank an inordinate amount of wine. I just didn't want to think about it. I am not a drinker...not then, not now. The last thing I remember was sitting with my best friend on a couch and then waking up in the morning to friends at the foot of the bed waiting for me to wake up. Hands down the most embarrassing moment of my life. I thank the stars and my best friend for keeping me safe. My life could have been changed forever in the worst possible way. I think of this more often in recent years than before because my son is now a teenager. I know that he is going to make mistakes and I can only hope he surrounds himself with people who will have his back like I did.

Now on with the present....

This week saw the end of Community Nursing. It is a relief to be done. I stuggled academically with this one with the exception of getting an A on the final. I received a Caritas award (nursing award commending professionalism, altruism, competency, and integrity). I was so proud I went to frame the award only to find that there was a back to it. My instructor had written at length about what I had done to earn the award. I was very touched. My instructor is an amazing lady so it meant a great deal to me. Even better is that she offered to write me a letter of recommendation when it is time to find a job. Life is pretty darn good I'd say.

Thursday (last clinical day) was quick and easy. We went to lunch afterwards to celebrate. After two hours we were full of food, out of conversation, and ready to part ways.

Friday was my day of rest. I treated myself to a trip to Beachwood Mall. There I excitedly bounced from makeup counter to makeup counter. I purchased my beloved Nars Orgasm blush in a multiple instead of powder. The multiples can be used for eyeshadow, lipstick, and blush. It is beautiful. I visited the MAC counter and found two holiday sets I liked, coral and plum. They came in cute little change purse like bags. Very pretty. I also hit the Crabtree & Evelyn store and L'Occitane. L'Occitane stopped selling my favorite scent, Rose and Neroli oil so I was looking for a replacement. C&E has a nice rosewater perfume that I am considering and L'O has an orange perfume and a rose perfume that I could combine but I have not been able to decide. While roaming through the mall a tall foreign gentleman asked for a moment of my time. I must have been weak from lack of Pepsi because I went along with his pitch. He buffed one nail and I explained that hand care is wasted on me. I am too lazy to care about them or my poor neglected cuticles. I made the mistake of saying that my hands are dry which led to him rubbing a dead sea salt mixture onto them. "Scrub!Scrub!", he commanded. "See how much better your hands feel." I explained I buy sea salt in bulk for my husband's psoriasis as wells as sea salt soap, which is wonderful by the way (iHerb.com). His beautiful face looked so sad. I however do not buy things I do not want or need unless I am in Target.

Today David and I headed out to Madison to buy an insert for the fireplace. We have lived here for four years and have never used our fireplace because we were afraid of a fire. It sounds stange I know. We first entered Nichols Fireplace and Stove Center where we were completely ignored. We then went a few doors down to Woodburner's Hearth and Home. We were greeted immediately and given all the information we needed. We needed to check the angle of the fireplace which means we had to go home for that. The salesman walked David through the measuring over the phone to make sure it was correct. We then headed back to order and pay. While David was doing that I had a nice conversation with the mom (Owner). She moved around a lot like me as a kid and lived in my home town briefly, even attended my old church. She offered me some of her homemade fudge which instantly made her my new best friend. The family is clearly adept and knowledgeable. I was impressed. That is not the sugar talking, really.

Late afternoon, I took Dev to the mall for dress clothes and shoes for his holiday concert and a field trip downtown to see a play. Found pants and shoes at a reasonable price at JC Penneys. The dress shirt may be a little big, but I am known for my uncanny ability to shrink any fabric so it should fit fine when I am done. On the way to the shoe department I came across the most adorable novelty socks. I bought two pair, one with piggy tassles and one with monkey tassles, for my nieces. In addition to dress shoes, Dev needed new tennis shoes eventhough his old ones are less than 6 months old. Sigh...Mall didn't have the Nike Air I wanted so off to Kohls we went. I had just bought David a pair there last week so I was sure they still had them. Sure enough they did. Bought Dev the exact same pair in almost the exact same size. I couldn't believe it. While we were there I found a lovely mosaic candle for Jason's teacher, cards (Christmas/Birthday), and a jelly bean machine for Jason. Dev hasn't given me ideas for his stocking. I told him if he doesn't soon I will fill it with fresh broccoli, potatoes, toilet paper, and coal. This did not inspire him in the least to produce a list. He just commented on how off I truly am. His therapist can thank me for the business in years to come.

Tonight we are watching the Heisman ceremony. Not the same without Brady Quinn.

1 comment:

Eric Durbin, RPh said...

That was 17 years ago. Yikes!

We're getting old.