Monday, December 24, 2007

Death comes in twos (corrected)

Death in twos


This week both my great-great aunt (92) and neighbor (91) passed away.

Mrs. Navar

Mrs. Navar had been our neighbor for exactly four years this week. From the moment we moved in, she made us feel at home. Every Christmas she had her son bring us baked goods, and bags of candy on Halloween for the boys. She was too ill to do it herself. My boys would leave her cards and pictures in her mailbox. Jason even wrote her one of his football books. Friday night, Skip came to our door to let us know she had passed with a plate of cookies and candy in hand. He asked if we could keep an eye on the house during the wake and funeral. Apparently during the last one someone broke in. I did not realize criminals scope out the obits to see when families will be away. I grateful that day passed without incident. Mrs. Navar was a wonderful neighbor. She will be missed.



Aunt Martha

My Aunt Martha was special to me. She was the only member of my dad's side of the family to stay touch when I stopped visitation with my dad. She remembered every birthday and holiday. Never an unkind word was spoken. She sent letters with each card and I did the same in return. When I decided to contact my dad at the age of 18 the letters stopped. I did not understand why at first. Later, it occurred to me that she kept in touch until I made my way back to them. My guess is she did what she thought my grandmother (her niece) would have wanted.The truth is I will never know for certain. What I do know is she was very good to me and that I loved her.

No comments: