Saturday, March 24, 2007

Friday, February 16, 2007

I found my cell phone!


I am a simple girl. I don't know how my phone works for the most part. I will go days at a time without using it and then when I go to use it of course it mocks me with that high pitched "Should have charged your phone dumb ass" beep. I went to use it today to call my sister because I was running late and that is when I noticed it was missing. I frantically searched everywhere. I cleaned out my entire car including my trunk (scary scary place), under the couch cushions, my purse which was full of receipts, tissue, and some brown powder I've yet to identify, and my bookbag. That was a blessing really because it turns out my waterbottle shared it's contents with all the papers inside. Around 4pm today I got a call from my cell phone. Turns out the restaurant we had dinner at on Valentine's Day had it all along. Yes, two days before I noticed it was missing. At least I was smart enough to program home into my contacts. What I can't do (among many other things) is get the pictures off the phone and onto my computer. Strong hinting here for someone to clue me in.
Other than that my day was great. I got to see my sister which is hard to do because we are both pretty busy and my beautiful niece. She is at that age where she laughs and chatters (sounds not words yet). My niece that is, not my sister. Very good day indeed.
After picking up my phone tonight we went up to Lowes and bought light fixtures for the kitchen. David is putting them up as I type. The light covers for the track lighting bring out the orange in my countertop. It looks lovely. I can't wait to see how the rest of it looks.
That is about it. It's time to go play Scrabble, Boggle, and Connect Four with my boys.



Thursday, February 15, 2007

Tonights episode of The Office Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

There are days when I wish I could control how the shows I watch turn out. To have Pam cut in on Karen and Jim dancing and plant a big wet kiss on Jim, press 1 now. To have Jim show up at Pam's art show and ask her to marry him on bended knee, press 2. To have Jim and Pam get married and have lots of Dunderheads, press 3. Tonight I was excited because I didn't have clinicals, which meant I was able to watch "must see tv". The Office was a bit disappointing. The thing I like least about tv land couples is the will they, won't they teaser. Moonlighting and Friends took it as far as it could go. The suspense doesn't excite me anymore. Now it just annoys me.
What is with writers? I still haven't gotten over the final episode of Quantum Leap. How could they not let Sam go home after everything he went though. Sadists I tell you! Anyway, I am annoyed. I did like the ending though. I thought the scene with Michael and Pam was very touching.


Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Study break

Clinicals today were cancelled because of the weather. It has been years since we have seen so much snow here. Granted this weather does not compare to a hurricane. No electicity or shelter has been lost for me. We are just cooped up. I am trying to study for my ob final tomorrow. I subscribe to the concept that information is best learned and retained when the student reviews the information for short periods of time, say 15 minutes, then takes a break and goes back to the same material to review it again for 15 minutes, and so on. This process can take a long time, but it seems to work for me. In order for me to learn the informaiton I need to associate it with something. I love mneumonic devices. I also try to picture the information on the page or the situation at hand (patient senerio). Anyway, my brain isn't wired like most. I write left handed but throw right handed. I don't know which hand will work best until I try. I am very awkward doing anything including thinking and learning. Now I must go back to studying. But only for 15 minutes.


Sunday, February 11, 2007

a football story requested by Jason

"Brady Quinn, the master of the universe, is suiting up in the locker room as the opposing team warms up on the beautiful Notre Dame field. South Bend is buzzing with bubble bees and fans this afternoon. They can hardly wait to see Brady come out onto the field. But let us not forget the teammates that have shined along side this godlike creature: Jeff Samardzija, Tommy Szbikoski, Darius Walker, Rhema McKnight, and Chinedum Ndukwe". Jason watched his team battle on the field every season (even before he was able to walk or talk). Every game for him was special. He was happy to see them play eventhough he wished he could be on the field with them.
As Jason grew, he became a fine football player in his own right. When the time came to decide on where to go to college, a knock on the door changed his life forever. Not just in the way that college changes the average person, but in a way that makes the oldest dreams come true.
As Jason approached the stadium he could hear the faint humming of the beloved fight song. He began to hum along which inevidably led to him singing the very song he had played to nausium as a child. A feeling came over him, one that he had only felt in the comfort of his family. He was home.


Think woman

A Few Good Men is an interesting story. It reminds me of an essay I wrote for english class on blind obedience. Now I have to agree that in the military this is a gray area. Discipline and obedience are the cornerstones of that institution. What I found even more interesting was a psychological study where average people were convinced to give what they thought was electric shock (at increasing levels commanded by man in lab coat) to a subject simply because they assumed (because the gentleman was wearing a lab coat) that what they were doing was okay. This sort of experiment was banned because it was deemed unethical. But, we are left with the reality that even the best of us follow suit without asking questions at times. Lesson for me, who almost never asks questions, think for a change woman.




Friday, February 09, 2007

you look like that actor from ....

We were in Wendy's today and I noticed the worker cleaning the tables looked familiar. She looked just like Shirley from What's Happening!. I found myself staring. She probably thought she had a booger stuck to the tip of her nose or that I was deranged. I couldn't help it. I loved the that show when I was a kid. I was only four when it went on the air, but I remember it vividly. Dwayne enters,"Hey,hey,hey" and RunRun exclaims,"What's Happening!". I can hear the theme music in my head. They had a marathon of it on TV Land awhile back which was cool. I haven't seen it since.
It got me thinging about the other people I have seen that remind me of actors/actresses. There was this cabin stewart we had on one cruise that looked EXACTLY like Isaac from the Love Boat. No, it wasn't all in my head, David was there to confirm the strong resemblence. We actually had him as our stewart twice on two completely different cruises (same cruise line though). I was a little disappointed that he wasn't also available to make Margaritas on the Lido Deck, but I guess cleaning the rooms required every minute of his time. They really do work very hard to keep everything super clean. I was amazed. Anyway, he was kind enough to let us take his picture so I have proof. I will have to find it and post it here.
Another look alike is one of my clinical instructors. She is the spitting image (remind me to look up the history of that phrase) of Penelope Ann Miller. Very pretty lady.
So who needs to go to Hollywood to star gaze. I see famous people where ever I go.


Wednesday, February 07, 2007

My presentation

I've been working on my presention for clinicals that I will give today. The material covered is too much to fit in a blog so I thought I would put up the quiz instead. Laura, I thought this would go well with your last post.
Multiple choice and T/F
1. What percent of women in the US (ages 15-44) use birth control?
20, 30,50, or 64
2. Only 2% of those women use this form of birth control:
cervical cap, the pill, IUD, or norplant
3. Side effects of the pill are all except:
itching, acne, bloating, or weight gain
4. The Norplant is implanted into a woman's arm and is 99% effective. T/F
5. How long can the cervical cap be left in?
24hrs, 48hrs, 72hrs, or must be taken out immediately after sex
6. In order for postcoital contraception to be effective the first two pills must be taken within:
72hrs, 1hr, 8hrs, or 12hrs
7. How many ejaculations does it take to remove the remaining sperm from the vas deferens?
5-20, 4-16, 6-36, or 2-40
8. Which method of contraception is best for women with pre-existing health conditions?
the pill, IUD, postcoital contraception, or tubal ligation
9. Plan B is the most effective form of postcoital contraception. T/F
10. In a study that electronically recorded time and date of each pill removed from the container, 30-50% of women missed how many pills in one cycle?
1-2, 2-3, 0, or 3 or more
11. When should the patient return to the doctor's office for a follow up appointment after IUD insertion?
4-8 weeks, 1-2 weeks, 3-4 weeks, or 5-10 weeks
12. The Sunday Start method for taking the pill is preferred because it often prevents periods on weekends. T/F
13. With tubal ligation the fallopian tubes are:
stuffed with marshmallows, painted neon pink to scare the sperm away, clipped plugged or banded, or surgically attached to the ovaries
14. The cervical cap is contraindicated for women with a history of:
UTI, Toxic Shock Syndrome, Arrythmias, or Both A and B
My partner in the presentation researched six other forms of contraception. I learned a great deal from my research. Keep your fingers crossed I don't embarress myself presenting the information.
Have a great day everyone!


Saturday, February 03, 2007

King Kong and Adventure Books

We just watched King Kong and I am heartbroken. I have seen the movie before (the original), so there is not excuse for this, but I kept hoping they would change the ending just for me. I wished I could go back to childhood and choose a different path like in those choose your own adventure books I used to read. I loved those books because if I didn't like the way it was going I could change it.
I didn't read many books as a child. I remember reading Pipi Longstocking, The Danny Dunn series (I even had a Danny Dunn fan club pin), and the adventure books. Now I read blogs and textbooks. When I do read real literature, I admit I'll flip to the end of the book to see if I like the ending. Then I do the unthinkable, if it doesn't suit me I will not finish the book. Life is full of disappointment and sadness, I see no reason to seek it out. This attitude will make many a writer and intellectual cringe ( as it should ), but I em what I em, as the famous poet Popeye would say.

No comments: