Thursday, March 29, 2007

Nicknames

I decided to scan some old pictures from college today because they are getting old and some of them have been in the album so long I almost ruined them trying to get them out. In my youth I was good about labeling pictures. Now not only do I not label, I do not put them in albums. Big blue container in my basement is proof of that. Anyway, I wrote first names, last names, and nicknames on the back of every picture. Most of the guys had nicknames and none of the girls. I began to wonder why that is. Yes the research monkey in my brain has reared it's furry head hungry for banana flavored trivia. So while he is gorging himself at his favorite banana Wiki, I thought I would talk about what I do know about nicknames. My youngest son already has the nickname Spaz from midget league football. My oldest is referred to as Molten Lava by his friends. As a girl, I can honestly say that the only nicknames I have ever had came from guys; mouse, short-stuff, Love, God-Damn Stupid Broad....Okay the latter was not so much a term of endearment as an angry guy cursing at my driving. But you see my point. When women label you it isn't a good thing. With men it is usually a sign of acceptance, even a right of passage.

Let's see what the monkey has for us....

A nickname is sometimes considered desirable, symbolising a form of acceptance, but can often be a form of ridicule.

In Viking societies, many people had nicknames heiti, viĆ°rnefni or uppnefi which were used in addition to, or instead of their family names. In some circumstances the giving of a nickname had a special status in Viking society in that it created a relationship between the name maker and the recipient of the nickname, to the extent that the creation of a nickname also often entailed a formal ceremony and an exchange of gifts. (wikipedia.com)

Good monkey.

From what I have learned about child development, this is a good thing. Bonding gives us a sense of security and from that we gain confidence.

So men, keep up the good work.

No comments: