Saturday, March 24, 2007

january-february blogs

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Doors, Windows, and Lost...Oh my

I have a few things I'd like to cover in this blog, none of which are related.
First I would like to discuss the phrase "When God shuts a door, somewhere he opens a window". I grew up loving this phrase, especially when Julie Andrews used it in The Sound of Music. The eternal optimist that I am, I always want to believe that there is good in the world, more good than the bad. But when I really thought about this saying, I realized it doesn't make sense. A door leads to a hard surface to walk on. It represents an opportunity to go places. Go out an open window, you break your neck. Or my luck, I would disturb a beehive outside the window waking a mass of bees who would then take turns stinging me to the beat of Queen's Another One Bites The Dust. I don't know. It just doesn't make sense. Why can't he just open another door?
---------------------------------------
Now the subject of "Lost". The head of the Chimpanzee wasn't the only toy to catch my attention when we were at the toy store the other day, these so called action figures stopped me cold. Let's begin by acknowledging that the tv show "Lost" is not a show for children. So why is it they have action figures like Locke holding a big old knife handing next to Pokemon figures? I'm guessing that maybe adult fans are their market. I guess it isn't a horrible idea. I could buy a bunch and act out story lines I would like to see in the woods. Like Jack and Kate having crazy monkey sex because I am really tired of waiting for the writers to script it. Locke would go to find the Swedish Bikini team on the other side of the island and of course the Harlem Globe Trotters. A whole resort, as a matter of fact, just waiting to be discovered.
------------------------------------------
School is going great. Have I said how much I love my ob rotation yet? Because I really really don't think I can say it enough. :)

To anyone who is wondering, the portamonkey is still alive and kicking.



Tuesday, January 30, 2007

My favorite scene of The Taming of the Shrew
SCENE V. A public road
[Enter PETRUCHIO, KATHERINA, HORTENSIO, and SERVANTS.]
PETRUCHIO.Come on, i' God's name; once more toward our father's.Good Lord, how bright and goodly shines the moon!
KATHERINA.The moon! The sun; it is not moonlight now.
PETRUCHIO.I say it is the moon that shines so bright.
KATHERINA.I know it is the sun that shines so bright.
PETRUCHIO.Now by my mother's son, and that's myself,It shall be moon, or star, or what I list,Or ere I journey to your father's house.Go on and fetch our horses back again.Evermore cross'd and cross'd; nothing but cross'd!
HORTENSIO.Say as he says, or we shall never go.
KATHERINA.Forward, I pray, since we have come so far,And be it moon, or sun, or what you please;And if you please to call it a rush-candle,Henceforth I vow it shall be so for me.
PETRUCHIO.I say it is the moon.
KATHERINA.I know it is the moon.
PETRUCHIO.Nay, then you lie; it is the blessed sun.
KATHERINA.Then, God be bless'd, it is the blessed sun;But sun it is not when you say it is not,And the moon changes even as your mind.What you will have it nam'd, even that it is,And so it shall be so for Katherine.
HORTENSIO.Petruchio, go thy ways; the field is won.
PETRUCHIO.Well, forward, forward! thus the bowl should run,And not unluckily against the bias.But, soft! Company is coming here.
[Enter VINCENTIO, in a travelling dress.]
[To VINCENTIO] Good-morrow, gentle mistress; where away?Tell me, sweet Kate, and tell me truly too,Hast thou beheld a fresher gentlewoman?Such war of white and red within her cheeks!What stars do spangle heaven with such beautyAs those two eyes become that heavenly face?Fair lovely maid, once more good day to thee.Sweet Kate, embrace her for her beauty's sake.
HORTENSIO.'A will make the man mad, to make a woman of him.
KATHERINA.Young budding virgin, fair and fresh and sweet,Whither away, or where is thy abode?Happy the parents of so fair a child;Happier the man whom favourable starsAllot thee for his lovely bed-fellow.
PETRUCHIO.Why, how now, Kate! I hope thou art not mad:This is a man, old, wrinkled, faded, wither'd,And not a maiden, as thou sayst he is.
KATHERINA.Pardon, old father, my mistaking eyes,That have been so bedazzled with the sunThat everything I look on seemeth green:Now I perceive thou art a reverend father;Pardon, I pray thee, for my mad mistaking.
PETRUCHIO.Do, good old grandsire, and withal make knownWhich way thou travellest: if along with us,We shall be joyful of thy company.
VINCENTIO.Fair sir, and you my merry mistress,That with your strange encounter much amaz'd me,My name is called Vincentio; my dwelling Pisa;And bound I am to Padua, there to visitA son of mine, which long I have not seen.
PETRUCHIO.What is his name?
VINCENTIO.Lucentio, gentle sir.
PETRUCHIO.Happily met; the happier for thy son.And now by law, as well as reverend age,I may entitle thee my loving father:The sister to my wife, this gentlewoman,Thy son by this hath married. Wonder not,Nor be not griev'd: she is of good esteem,Her dowry wealthy, and of worthy birth;Beside, so qualified as may beseemThe spouse of any noble gentleman.Let me embrace with old Vincentio;And wander we to see thy honest son,Who will of thy arrival be full joyous.
VINCENTIO.But is this true? or is it else your pleasure,Like pleasant travellers, to break a jestUpon the company you overtake?
HORTENSIO.I do assure thee, father, so it is.
PETRUCHIO.Come, go along, and see the truth hereof;For our first merriment hath made thee jealous.
[Exeunt all but HORTENSIO.]
HORTENSIO.Well, Petruchio, this has put me in heart.Have to my widow! and if she be froward,Then hast thou taught Hortensio to be untoward.
[Exit.] .. google_ad_section_end -->




You have a Pokeball stuck to your butt

When my son got out of the car to go to school this morning I noticed he had a toy stuck to him. He had gotten a Pokemon toy yesterday and since it is new, he must take it everywhere. The thing has velcro and stuck to the back of him as he existed the car. The funny part is when I told him, he tried to see it but couldn't at first because everytime he turned so would the ball on it's string. He looked like a cat chasing his tail. It only took him a matter of seconds to detach the velcro and be on his way, but it probably seems longer to him. I couldn't help but laugh.


Sunday, January 28, 2007

Fort Knox

There isn't much on tv tonight so we are watching the history of Fort Knox on the History Channel. Did you know that ADT was the first security company to protect Fort Knox back in 1937? Only two presidents have ever toured the premises, Roosevelt and Truman. Even they had to have special permission to do so. In the '40s General Patton's brain child the Armory Division used Fort Knox as it's practice field. There the Sherman tanks were proven effective enough to use in war. I love how the history channel always finds a way to talk about tanks, submarines, or ships. I think they could be doing a documentary on bubble gum and still link tanks to it. Like back in WWII the serviceman used bubble gum to make sticky bombs stick to tanks. You see what I mean?


Head of a Chimpanzee

We were in Toys R Us today and as always my husband guides me down the remote control aisle. I had to laugh when I saw the head of a chimpanzee on the shelf. After all I am very fond of monkeys. According to the box it can show several emotions (provided you are adept at the controls) and looks and feels like a real chimpanzee. Yours for $129.99. Hmmm....I had no idea there was a market for this.


Lucky

Current mood: content

Dr. Cox: Relationships don't work the way they do on television and in the movies. Will they, won't they, and then they finally do and they're happy forever, gimme a break. 9 out of 10 of 'em end because they weren't right for each other to begin with, and half the ones that get married get divorced anyway, and I'm tellin' you right now, through all this stuff, I have not become a cynic, I haven't. Yes, I do happen to believe that love is mainly about pushing chocolate-covered candies and, y'know, in some cultures a chicken... you can call me a sucker, I don't care. 'Cause I do believe in it. Bottom line, couples that are truly right for each other wade through the same crap as everybody else, but the big difference is, they don't let it take them down. One of those two people will stand up and fight for that relationship every time, if it's right and they're real lucky. One of 'em will say something.
I'm real lucky.



Saturday, January 27, 2007

funny

Eric: My head hurts.Red Forman: That's your brain trying to comprehend its own stupidity.


Gilligan in Hang'em High Current mood: crazy Category: Movies, TV, Celebrities

While watching Hang'em High I noticed the background music. As I'm listening, I keep hearing the lyrics to Gilligan's Island in my head. Now my mind does have many crazy sounds, thoughts, and voices going on at once so it wouldn't be suprising that one had nothing to do with the other. So I asked my husband if he heard it too and he did. I now wonder if the person who wrote the theme song is listening. Since the Skipper and the lot were rescued back in '67 and Clint was back for revenge in '68 I thought maybe the song writer needed work. Oh my goodness...the Skipper (Alan Hale Jr.) is in the movie too. This cannot be a coincidence. Now I'm thinking what would the movie be like if Gilligan (Bob Denver....not to be confused with John Denver --OH GOD) was Marshall Jed Cooper and Clint Eastwood played Gilligan. Oh how I wish I were a writer. That would be an interesting sketch.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your site is loading fast

Anonymous said...

я думаю: благодарю... а82ч

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

hi every person,

I identified monkeyhugs.blogspot.com after previous months and I'm very excited much to commence participating. I are basically lurking for the last month but figured I would be joining and sign up.

I am from Spain so please forgave my speaking english[url=http://worlddiscoverylu.info/].[/url][url=http://worlddiscoveryad.info/forum].[/url][url=http://rsskillers.info/].[/url]

Anonymous said...

It is my first message here, so I would like to say hallo to all of you! It is unquestionably diversion to meet your community!