Saturday, March 24, 2007

Rocky Balboa (warning: spoilers)

I wasn't sure what to think of this movie from the previews. So when we saw it I didn't have great expectations. That was a blessing really since the movie was subpar. I give two stars because it wasn't terrible, but it could have been so much better. I loved the orginal Rocky. Some people might have disliked the way it moved slow when developing the story line for Rocky and Adriane and I understand. I found it charming and endearing. This final installment was slow and boring except for the restaurant story line. They tried to use a women and her son story line that never worked. Never cared enough about the characters. Omitting them completely and replacing them with a story line about the opposing fighter would have served the movie better. Like they did in Rocky I with Apollo Creed. I also didn't like the flashbacks. There were more of a distraction than anything else.

There were aspects that I liked. Rocky was the same as he was at the beginning which made me happy. His son, Vigo from the Gilmore Girls and now the popular Heros, was not given enough screen time. He is a good actor and it would have helped to see more interaction between him and his father. His performance was right on the mark. I loved Pauly's choice of music for Rocky's enterence for the fight, Sanatra sining High Hopes. It's been a favorite since Laverne and Shirley. Yes, you already know I'm a geek. There is no point in trying to hide it now.

The best part for me was that he did not win the fight. The fight scene was in true Rocky fashion and was shot some in black/white.

No comments: