Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Friday Night Lights

I have been waiting for Kyle Chandler to find another quality show to star in and finally he is there. I became a fan back in 1991 when he played Jeff Metcalf in the series Homefront. It was a show about a family living in Ohio post WWII. It was different from anything else on television at that time or any show since. Millions of people signed petitions to keep it on the air for the third season, but it wasn't enough for ABC to renew it for a fourth. His next series Early Edition lasted a year longer (1996-2000). This time he played a regular guy who happened to get tomorrow's newspaper today. A paper that came with a cat. His character was Gary Dobson and he was a reluctant crouchy hero. I loved it.

Now the 2006-2007 Must See TV includes Friday Night Lights. His character is coach Eric Taylor. He is a family man with a touch of the old Gary. This character seems "Taylor" made for him. I know. I had to do it. Anyway, a show about football is unique. Now if they could find a way to include Brady Quinn, well,that would be a dream come true. Just kidding. Like Homefront, there is nothing else on television like it.

I was irritated when I learned that they may not renew the show for a second season. As it is, there are few quality shows out there. I can only hope the network appreciates that they are one of the lucky ones.

No comments: