Friday, April 13, 2007

Sweatin with the Oldies

This morning I had my exercise class for Geriontology. I stayed for two sessions. Not intentionally. I was told the first class would last an hour but it only lasted 30 min. So when the instructor said well she can stay for the next class I thought that too would be 30 min. giving me the hour I originally expected. The second class lasted an hour. I was supposed to be home at 11:15 because we had plans but didn't get there until almost 12.

low blood sugar, no time to shower, running late unexpectedly, irritated, no caffeine

It wasn't pretty.

I started the day thinking I was late. I set my alarm for 8 am. Then when it went off I decided to reset it for 9. What I didn't realize at the time is that instead of changing the alarm, I reset the clock. My internal clock woke me up just before 9 but the clock said it was 9:40. I was supposed to be at the senior center by 10. As I was rushing around like a crazy person it occurred to me that the alarm didn't go off the second time. It's a good thing we have more than one clock.

To get back to the exercise class, I had fun. Some of the moves reminded me of Sweatin to the Oldies and line dancing. The seniors were better at it than I was. The people I met were very active and sharp. One of the ladies told me there is a 95 year old man who just wrote a book. I thought how wonderful. I guess there was an article in the paper about it. I will have to check it out.

What most people don't realize is that the majority of our elderly are healthy, independent, and intellectually intact. Geri has taught me well.

No comments: