Friday, April 6, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness

Finally watched The Pursuit of Happyness tonight. I realize now I misspelled the title in my previous post. Sorry about that. This was a sad movie. Will Smith's performance was moving. His real life son plays his son in the movie and it shows.

I admit most of the movie broke my heart. My husband handed me the tissue box before the movie started in anticipation of this. While the story isn't 100% accurate, I believe it kept the most important parts real. Mr. Gardner and his son were homeless for a year. Not one person he worked with knew. He worked harder than anyone I have ever met to keep his dignity and family intact.

I give it 2 1/2 stars. As much as I would like to, I cannot give it 3. Serious movies need comic relief. The Pursuit of Happyness does have moments to ease the tension, however, a precious few. Steel Magnolias is a good example of a movie that mixes it up just right. I know it's a chick flick, but it is the gold standard in my opinion. For some of you it may be Forrest Gump. That works too.

No comments: