Friday, April 13, 2007

The Prestige and Batman

My brother-in-law has an inordinate amount of movies as we discovered on our last visit. We borrowed The Prestige (2006). The cast includes Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, and Scarlet Johansson. Even David Bowie has a small part. Not that he is a great actor but I thought his part was worth mentioning.

The story is about two magicians who start out friends but soon become rivals. It is twisted and mysterious. It reminded me of how well The Sixth Sense and The Usual Suspects kept me in suspense.

This move leaves so many clues you will kick yourself for not catching on sooner. Clues mean nothing if you don't know what you are looking for I guess.

Christopher Nolan, who shares my birthday by the way only two years older ;), both directed and wrote the screen play for this film, Batman Begins and the not yet released (2008) sequel The Dark Night starring Christian Bale. I like his style. His writing is intelligent. His characters are complex. His story lines flow seemlessly.

I am now officially a fan.

No comments: